“Grow A Row builds on the long-standing tradition of gardeners loving to share
their harvest with others. It is a people-helping-people program to assist in
feeding the hungry in their own communities.”
It all started in 1986 in Winnipeg, when farmers began to donate excess produce to their local food bank and the idea caught. Since then, the Grow-A-Row program has helped to connect farmers and residential gardeners with organizations that help provide nutritious food to vulnerable communities.
2019 will be our third season with the Grow-A-Row program. Our goals this year is to:
- Continue building our Grow A Row network by adding 10 new Gardeners to our community.
- Increase the availability of fresh, locally grown produce for people experiencing Food Insecurity
- Strive to collect 800 lbs of produce through the Grow a Row initiative.
- Host a Grow-A-Row Harvest Celebration at the end of the season.
- Listen, Learn, and Plan for 2020.
Become a Grow-A-Row Gardener!
The process is quite simple. Choose to dedicate a row of your garden or your favourite crop to help feed your community!
Email us to let us know that you would like to become a Grow-A-Row Gardener for the Shelbourne Community Kitchen and we will send you a list of the fruits and vegetables that are needed most.
When you have your first harvest that you would like to share, you can:
Drop off your veggies at our central location, 3541 Shelbourne Street anytime between Tuesday-Friday 10:00am-2:00pm (no drop offs outside of office hours please)
Harvest Pick Up is also available with advance notice.