“Grow A Row builds on the long-standing tradition of gardeners loving to share
their harvest with others. It is a people-helping-people program to assist in
feeding the hungry in their own communities.”
It was started in 1986 in Winnipeg, when farmers began to donate excess produce to their local food bank and the idea caught. Since then, the Grow-A-Row program has helped to connect farmers and residential gardeners with organizations that help provide nutritious food to vulnerable communities.
2017 will be our first season with the Grow-A-Row program. Our goals this year are to:
- Begin building a network of Community Gardeners in our neighbourhood.
- Increase the availability of fresh, locally grown produce for people experiencing Food Insecurity
- Strive to collect 400lbs of produce through the Grow a Row initiative.
- Register 15 Gardeners throughout the CRD.
- Listen, Learn, and Plan for 2018.
Become a Grow-A-Row Gardener!
- Sign up at one of our Information Sessions or by contacting us by email or phone.
- Arrange to Receive a Grow-A-Row Kit if you could use a bit of help to get your garden going.
Grow-A-Row Kits include seasonal planting charts, maintenance tips for a variety of crops, local resource sheets and a selection of seeds to get you started.
3. When you have your first harvest that you would like to share, you can:
Drop off your veggies at our central location, 3541 Shelbourne Street anytime between Tuesday-Friday 10:00am-2:00pm (no drop offs outside of office hours please!)
Call or email us to arrange a bike pick up (available within 3 km of the Kitchen)