|So many aspects of our lives, daily routines and the resources we access have changed over the last few weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been following the COVID-19 developments closely and are adhering to provincial and federal restrictions and guidelines. The health and safety of our participants, volunteers and staff is very important to us.
It’s important now, more than ever, that we keep calm, stay well informed and take care of ourselves and each other.
Our team’s primary focus is to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and minimize the risk to our members, while making drastic changes to our programs and procedures in order to continue to offer food distribution through our Pantry program.
Our team has reduced our volunteer team in order to follow social distancing recommendations and ensure that vulnerable community members stay home safe.
As of March 19th and until further notice:
Participants and visitors are no longer allowed in the building at 3541 Shelbourne St.
All cooking programs and events are cancelled until further notice.
The Pantry Program will continue to offer healthy food distribution during regular hours which are Tuesday to Friday 10am–2pm.
We know that the grocery stores are struggling to keep stocked and many community resources are closing. With this in mind, Participants are invited to pick up groceries two times per month during March and April (voucher remains monthly).
How we are offering food distribution safely:
- We have established strict sanitation and cleaning protocols including wearing gloves and hourly sanitation of all work spaces, equipment and donations.
- Participants and visitors are no longer allowed in the building
- Participants can access the Pantry program during operating hours by placing an order at the main entrance window .
- Participants can also place an order over the phone (same day pick up only) so it’s ready when you arrive.
- Emergency Food Delivery is now available on Wednesdays and Fridays between 12pm-4pm. Please call to place your order over the phone
- A trained staff member or volunteer will then follow strict food handling procedures, wear gloves and use new grocery bags to pack your order.
- Once your order is ready, it will be placed on the table outside of the entrance for you to pick up. Please keep the entrance clear.
- If a line up forms: Please be patient. Everyone will be served, one at a time. Please wait your turn and practice social distancing by remaining 2 meters (6 feet) from other members, staff and volunteers.
Please do not come to the Kitchen if you are sick or symptomatic.
Please be safe, be kind and take care. We are all in this together!
–Kim Cummins, Program Director, Shelbourne Community Kitchen